This Brazilian band is called The River Raid. They formed in high school in 1996, citing influences like Sonic Youth, Radiohead, The Stooges, Violent Femmes and many Brazilian artists (Tom Jobim, Roberto Carlos, Os Mutantes, Luiz Gonzaga)
In the years following their formation, they've raided the Brazilian circuit getting lots of pub on MTV Brazil and playing festivals galore (including a few in the States). They're currently working on their second album, and most recently had a chance to open up a big round of dates for Paramore around their home country.
Here's a download of "Alright" and a video of "Time Up" from the SXSW showcase last year.
Clearly, if you're still reading this after seeing the influences above, you're probably gonna love the video more. Much more aggressive and distinct. Certainly a band to keep your eyes on as their new album gets closer to reality.
soon as i get more news in I'll have another post up, for now here's this stuff -
- Time lapse vid of the making of Circa Survive's Blue Sky Noise cover art
- Ben Harper & Relentless 7 is delivering a cd/dvd of Live from the Montreal International Jazz Festival on March 9
- limited time release of Slim Cessna's Auto Club's Buried Behind the Barn; band picked songs from 2000 & 2001 reissued for a short time by Alternative Tentacles
- Alternative Tentacles discography is now on discogs.com
- Stereogum's SXSW party info
- Lonely Dear performing @ Paste
Follow Sonic Dissonance on Twitter