Search This Blog

Monday, May 17, 2010

The full details on David Weiss' Point of Departure Quintet

Trumpeter/arranger/composer/bandleader David Weiss has been around a little while and yet he's still finding ways to do something new.

This June 22, Weiss will debut his new combo, featuring JD Allen (tenor sax), Matt Clohesy (bass), Nir Felder (guitar) and Jamire Williams (drums). The quintet is forever to be known as David Weiss' Point of Departure Quintet and will release their debut album, Snuck In on Sunnyside.

In his own words - “I started kicking around the idea for this group as early as 2004,” Weiss says. “At the time, I was doing a lot of great gigs; Freddie Hubbard, Charles Tolliver, The New Jazz Composers Octet and my own sextet. But I wanted to play more and thought a smaller group would open up a lot more possibilities for me. I did a few gigs and abandoned the notion. I didn't really like the venues and couldn't find the right personnel. I revisited the idea in 2006 as I heard some musicians I liked so I began rehearsals and took a residency at Fat Cat, playing there every Thursday night. I experimented with various personnel, and within couple of months, the personnel was solidified and a real group sound began to emerge. After 6 or 7 months, the residency ended because Fat Cat was shut down for a while and we began playing around town a bit more, culminating with the gig at the Jazz Standard where this material was recorded.”

Among the five tracks are Point of Departure's take on herbie Hancock's "I Have a Dream," "Black Comedy" from Tony Williams, "Number 4" from Kenny Cox & the Contemporary Jazz Quintet, Andrew Hill's "Erato" and an original for the band, their title track, "Snuck In."

so whatcha whatcha whatcha want?
Become a fan of Sonic Dissonance.com on Facebook
Follow Sonic Dissonance on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment